Skirts are having a big moment this year. Pencil skirts in particular are stealing the limelight, both in and out of office, and have become the item to dominate your wardrobe this Spring/Summer.
Pencil skirts have forever been the number one staple item when it comes to business attire, and it’s fun to see how the styles have evolved through the years. I’m still a firm believer that you can do no wrong with a simple, sleek, fitted pencil skirt and a pair of killer high heels – it’s a timeless look that will never go out of style. But I’m also excited by the idea that pencil skirts are rebelling in 2018 against their stereotype of being made for just the office.
wearing: Warehouse Midi Rib Stripe Jumper | Warehouse Midi Rib Stripe Skirt | Christian Louboutin Pigalle heels
photos by Victoria Metaxas
Pencil skirts have had a modern revision for 2018, taking a more playful, eye-catching approach than what they’re originally famous for.
Say bye to your flowy midi skirts this Spring/Summer, and hello to the longer pencil skirt instead!
How to wear them in 2018? If your pencil skirt ticks any of the following boxes, you’re already ahead of the trend:
- Longer in length
- A looser fit than your standard figure hugging pencil skirt. Wear with an oversized shirt or jumper loosely tucked in too to look extra stylish.
- Bold prints – plain black or navy just will not cut it this year!
- A side split, revealing a little leg. This gives an extremely subtle sexiness to the look.
- Playful fabrics, including silk, tweed, denim and leather.
- Go sheer! With a slip at work and without at the weekend. This appears to have become the most popular way of wearing the modern pencil skirt, accessorised with an extra amount of confidence and sass!
Check out my lookbook below to see my favourite styles you need in your working wardrobe right now..